How to Apply - International Students

Congratulations on deciding to take the next step in your digital marketing journey!

We want to make it as easy as possible for you to transition into your studies at Cumberland College so our application process is entirely online—and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact our admissions team

We also have a number of different resources available to help guide you through the admissions process:

The Application Process

Before you begin the application process, visit our Admissions Requirements – International Students page to make sure you meet the requirements. You also need to be 18 years old or over at the moment of starting your program to be accepted at Cumberland College.

You can then click here to start the application process. You will be asked to create an account to access the International Student Online Application—doing so allows you to save your application as you go and access it at any time. Make sure you have the following documents ready as you will need to attach them during the online application:

  • Copy of the original certificate of birth certificate and an official translation into French or English.
  • Copy of latest diploma/transcript of records of secondary and/or post-secondary education. Documents need to be officially translated into French or English.
  • Proof of language proficiency test: B1 level in English or French. Multiple official tests are accepted: IELTS, CELPIP, TOEFL, TEF, TEFAQ, TFI or DELF whenever the student has achieved the equivalent of B1 level.
  • Copy of passport

Once we have received your complete online application, the Director of Studies will review your documents. If you qualify for the program, we will send you an email invoice of $200CAD for the registration fees along with the payment instructions.

After receiving the payment, Cumberland College will send you the Letter of Acceptance necessary for the application of immigration documents (non-refundable and valid for 1 year). The usual times to receive the Letter of Acceptance are up to a week.

Fill out this form to get more information

Learn about our courses, career opportunities in digital marketing & more!

By submitting this form, you consent to receiving communication related to Cumberland College by email. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Obtaining Immigration Documentation

When you have received your Letter of Acceptance, you can start the application of the necessary visa documents. There are 2 document you will need to apply for:

  • CAQ certificate, issued by the Gouvernement du Québec
  • A study permit issued by the Government of Canada

You can apply for a CAQ either online or by mail, and can consult the Immigration Quebec website for more information on the process, and the supporting documents required for students from your country. Please note that an application fee is required.

To apply for a study permit from the Government of Canada, you will need:

  • An acceptance letter from Cumberland College
  • A valid passport or travel document
  • Proof you can support yourself financially while in Canada, and well as any family members who come with you

You can apply online or by mail, and application fees will apply. You can consult the Government of Canada website for more information on the process.

After you have successfully applied for your CAQ and study permit, you will be ready to start preparing for your time in Canada.

Please, send a copy of your CAQ and study permit at least one month before the start of your program. If we do not receive your documents on time, we will transfer your date of start to the next session.

Deferral of Studies

In case your study permit is delayed, and you cannot start your program on the selected date, we will transfer the student to the next session. We will issue a new Letter of Acceptance (free for the 1st deferral letter and $50CAD for the following ones).

Health Insurance

All international students who study in Canada are required to have health insurance. Medical coverage available to international students varies from province to province. In provinces in which international students are not covered under provincial health care plans, you will have to make arrangements for private health insurance coverage.

Québec has concluded social security agreements with certain countries. You could benefit from such an agreement if you are a native of a signatory country. In general, the agreement applies when you take up residence in Québec permanently or during a temporary stay to work, study or undergo training. However, you have to take certain steps to be covered under such an agreement. To know the countries benefiting from this agreement, please visit the following link.

If your country is not in that list, as an international student studying in Canada, it is advisable that you purchase private health insurance before your trip, to make sure you are covered in all cases.

Working During Your Studies

As a full-time student at Cumberland College, you may be eligible to work part-time up to 20 hours per week. This could help you to support yourself during your studies, or allow you to gain some valuable digital marketing experience.

You should be aware that many employers in Montreal require staff to be able to speak French or English, and often both languages. The Government of Quebec offers free French courses for international students, so this can be a good opportunity to become bilingual to help you in your career. You can find more information here.

Ready to take the next steps in your career?